Thursday, March 22, 2007

Many people feel as if entertainers today are the main reason behind many of the crime committed by juveniles today. They feel as if the lyrics that recited by artists influence juveniles to lead a life of crime. They argue that certain television shows influences gay marriage and inappropriate behaviors. This argument has been going on for many years and many court cases have evolved from this issue. I have to admit though sometimes the lyrics of a song may influence me, it could never make me do something I really didn’t want to do. For example the lyrics I need money, that’s my goal, I’ll shoot anybody anywhere just to rock straight gold; may influence me to make money be my main goal. I realize money is power; but never would I feel I need to go shoot someone. If my favorite television show shows the main characters bleeping out curse words, I know that those words are bad and if they weren’t they wouldn’t be bleeped out. Although I may like certain stuff that entertains me, I would know the difference between right and wrong.

One major issue in the courts is involving the wrestling shows. Everyone may have enjoyed wrestling once upon a time, but me personally when my brother told me it was fake it took away all the excitement. Even though a lot of people may believe that wrestling is fake, even more believe that its real; and others just don’t care because it brings them excitement. So its not strange for little kids to want to imitate the moves they see on television.

On July 28, 1999, Lionel Tate, a twelve year old, weighing 170 pounds said he was imitating professional wrestlers when he beat to death six year old Tiffany Eunick who weighed 48 pounds in his Pembroke Park home in Florida. Tate claimed he had Tiffany in a headlock as he slammed her head on a table, but a medical examiner's reported indicated injuries caused by much rougher abuse. Experts testified that Tiffany suffered a beating lasting 1 - 5 minutes. She had 35 injuries, including a ruptured spleen, lacerations, and damage to her rib cage, a fractured skull, brain contusions, a partially detached liver and bruises all over her body. Tate changed his story years later claiming he jumped on her from a staircase.

A 7-year-old North Dallas boy imitating a wrestling move he learned from television, accidentally killed his 3-year-old brother. The 3-year-old began making complaints to his mother concerning his head, which prompted his mother to take him to Children's Medical Center in Dallas. The 3-year-old victim died from brain swelling. Dallas police said they initially suspected that an adult had to have caused the 3-year-old's severe head injury

If there’s no one there observing their every move, who’s there to tell them the people on TV are professionals? Who’s there to inform them that they shouldn’t imitate what they see? Who’s there to tell them that the moves they see are actually very dangerous and can even be fatal if they try it? No one is telling them these facts so they are forced to learn it the hard way.

Some parents believe that the all time Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants, is promoting the acceptance of homosexuality. He is popular among children and grown-ups as well who watch him cavorting under the sea on the Nickelodeon cartoon program that bears his name. In addition, he has become a well-known figure among gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his best friend who is a male starfish by the name of Patrick Star. There is one particular episode where SpongeBob and Patrick parent a baby clam. In the episode SpongeBob was reflected as the mother, wearing maid outfits and feeding and changing the baby. At first Patrick, reflected as the father was very involved in the family but after a while he started slacking off. He wouldn’t provide for the baby and he was constantly just laying back and making SpongeBob work his heart out.

SpongeBob's creator, Stephen Hillenburg, 43, said the allegations are far-fetched and his agenda does not go beyond fun and entertainment
"We never intended them to be gay. I consider them to be almost asexual. We're just trying to be funny, and this has got nothing to do with the show."
I personally believe the cartoon is harmless, I watch SpongeBob every chance I get, and I’ve never had the thought that he was gay or in any way promoting homosexuality. I feel as if these parents are too stuck up on things that aren’t even as important, where they should be protecting their children from drugs, abuse etc. they are arguing with the fact that their watching a television program. Less time needs to be spent on this topic and focused on more important subjects.

The parents of today are arguing with little matters that aren’t as important as saving their children from a life of crime. The parents are behind all these accusations, do you think a child looked at SpongeBob and said, "hey I think he’s trying to tell me to be gay?" No! Kids are young and innocent; they don’t know what’s going on without the initial thought being put into their mind in the first place. It’s ridiculous how parents who are failing at their job of being parents are accusing the media for their mistakes. If someone was there to tell Lionel Tate that those wrestling moves are only to be done by professionals, do you think he would’ve still attempted to try the moves on little Tiffany? I think the problem is the parents and not at all the media.

The parents need to raise their own children instead of relying on the schools, churches, or the entertainment business. They need to be there to help their kids choose between right and wrong. They need to instill common sense in them, as of now their just teaching them to be ignorant and instead of taking responsibility of your wrongs try to find another way out.

I know better and I have the common sense my family instilled in me while I was growing up. Then you have to realize, not everyone has parents and not everyone has a family. The main issue here, which everyone is overlooking, is that the parents aren’t in control of their kids. The parents aren’t enforcing discipline today and that is why these kids are losing control and committing idiotic crimes. The streets are raising the kids of today because their parents have abandoned them.

No comments: